Monday, November 1, 2010

David Merritt: Inspiration

Today I spent some time perusing the art scene in printed form, and my eye fell on a piece by Canadian artist, David Merritt. The piece, entitled bmi 100, stole my attention in every way possible. An artist, that like me, is interested in linguistics and the generative nature between meaning and language. The article in the NY Arts, entitled Out of Control, discusses one in a series of shows he is exhibiting internationally. I don't have too much else to say about him, as I've just come across his work, but I must say I really enjoy it. As a warning, googling him seems to get mixed results, as his name is owned by another artist, based in new york.

During my perusing, I came across a couple other interesting artists as well as articles. They definitely gave me the inspiriation I was looking for. The one that intrigued me the most was in the Summer 2010 October. Entitled Roundtable: The Global Before Globalization, the discussion is based around a simple, little examined fact: That globalization is in fact, NOT a new concept, nor something that just started happening recently. Dating back centuries, trade routes, wars, and the simple migration of people created a global system. This discussion utilizes and comments on the position today in relation to the past, and attempts to learn from it. I'd definitely check it out if you are at all interested in globalization, the rhizome, or in the practice of making art in the present world.

No comments: